How to Calm Your Dog During Thunderstorms
Nothing is worse than seeing your sweet fur-baby pace, pant and shake during a thunderstorm. Here are a few tips that can help to reduce your dog’s anxiety during a thunderstorm. Ready to turn terror into tranquility, and nervousness into a nap? Join millions of other families who are experiencing a whole new calm.
Top 5 Tips
1. Create a calm room / space
- Try to find the most soundproof room in your house, and create a safe space for your dog
- You could move your dog’s bed into this room, and bring clothing that smells like you (their best friend) to provide comfort
- Bring in toys and treats, or anything else your dog loves into the room.
- If you have a sound machine / white noise machine, turn it on to try and drown out some of the thunder claps – turning on the TV can help too.
2. Try to provide distractions
- Is a storm the perfect time for a game of tug of war, or a good belly rub? If you can distract your dog from the storm through a game or some good old fashion quality time, it can help put your dog at ease
3. Draw the blinds
- Most dogs are scared of the sudden loud noises of a storm, but others are scared of the lightning, rain and wind, so close the blinds to try and eliminate as many elements of the storm as possible
4. Try out a ThunderShirt
- Like a comforting hug, a ThunderShirt provides gentle, calming pressure around your dog’s torso, helping to soothe their anxiety, and help them to feel safe
- Vet Recommended, and it is no wonder why! We’ve seen the ThunderShirt help 1M+ dogs worldwide
- We offer a 100% money back guarantee – so try it out risk free!
5. Consult your Vet
- If none of the above completely calms your dog and he or she still seems very distressed during storms, contact your veterinarian for additional assistance. In some cases an anxiety relieving medication in addition to the ThunderShirt may be all that is necessary to help your dog eventually lose their fear of thunderstorms
“Our Blue Girl is DEATHLY afraid of thunderstorms, fireworks, loud motorcycles, ANYTHING that makes a loud noise. The ThunderShirt works so well – I truly believe it is the BEST thing that money can buy. It works BETTER than the Xanax. Thank you!”
“ThunderShirt is one of the best products ever invented. It has changed Katie’s life and mine – For the better. She sleeps through storms and fireworks. I have been able to substitute her ThunderShirt for sedatives! Again, we cannot thank you enough for this wonderful product!”
“My Yorkie was a total wreck during fireworks. The results are nothing short of amazing! She is like a totally different animal! No fear what so ever. ThunderShirt is the best thing to come along since sliced bread.”